Music Together Online:
As parents, we are constantly being bombarded with new information as we try to make the most of this situation we all share in. The move to Music Together Online may seem like a daunting one, and you may be thinking that more screen time does not seem like a good idea. While it is true that a surplus of passive screen time is not recommended for this age group, the Music Together Online experience is different.
The Music Together Online program is designed to be interactive and engaging for both you and your little ones. It is not and should not be held in the same category as a TV show or an app, and the reason for that is, YOU!
I know many of you may be thinking how difficult it is to get your child to sit and focus on a screen, and this concern is valid. When children sit and watch a screen, they passively receive information. It is extremely important to note that this passive experience is NOT what Music Together Online was designed to create. Rather, Music Together Online offers and encourages active participation through the music your child knows and loves and through the participation of their parent or caregiver. When a child witnesses the active participation of an adult, they are more apt to participate themselves. This shared participation is what separates Music Together Online from passive screen time. Just like in class, you are still the most important part of a program designed to get everyone moving, singing and dancing TOGETHER!
The first option is live Music Together classes on Zoom, which will consist of three 15 min time slots 3 days a week (for a total of 45 mins.) We have found that children respond best to shorter intervals of screen time, be it passive or active. We think that the 15 minute block times will not only keep your little one engaged, but also give them something to do throughout the week rather than all at once.
- The Zoom classes will be offered at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday or at 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- All of the live Zoom classes will be taught by Lindsay Amer.
- Make-ups for the live Zoom classes remain the same (unlimited). If you miss a Zoom session, you can schedule a make-up online for another session through the make-up scheduler.
The second option is pre-recorded, which will consist of one 30 minute class recording and one 15 minute class recording. The recordings will total 45 minutes of class time a week. We have broken the 45 minute block up to ensure your little one is not overwhelmed by too much screen time all at once.
- The pre-recorded classes will be uploaded to a new private Facebook page (you will be invited to a page based on your teacher) on Monday mornings for the whole family to enjoy!
- This option will be taught by both Pauline Keenan and Katie Daley.